Thursday, April 4, 2019

Adam's Ribs


On the Second of January, 2019… on my parent’s wedding day anniversary, I was returning to Vientiane from a trip to the unforgettable Elephant Conservation Center with my nephew Steven.


We had left Sayabouri and were about 60 km from Paklai when a dog decided to commit suicide by running under my front wheel. Steven had my motorcycle and I was riding Marie-Do’s and he had gone ahead of me so I found myself in the delicate situation of being thrown from the bike onto my back in the middle of the road. The motorcycle had pinned my left leg so I couldn’t move. I was lucky that no truck was tearing down the road just behind me.

Pain and shock. At first I could not speak, only moan. Opening my eyes I saw a little girl crying being rushed away by her grandmother. The sight must not have been pretty, I thought. Was there blood?

Fortunately not, other than a few scrapes. The villagers lifted the bike and pulled me to safety at the side of the road. One man thought it was a great idea to apply Tiger Balm to my open wounds. It was not. Other people helped as they saw fit, not allowing me to lie down, helping me take off my shirt in search of more open wounds upon which to inflict the Tiger Balm…

Eventually a scooter with a sort-of side car contraption came and took me to a pharmacy where I was injected with a pain killer.

To make a long story short, I left the motorbike with some people who lived at the side of the road and hitchhiked to Paklay where there were my nephew, a comfortable hotel bed and a hospital.

Photo credits of the Paklay Hospital to Steven Hyman…














Five broken ribs and two months later, I returned to that village to get the motorbike to take it back to Vientiane. I took a bus to the village but had no real idea where I had left the bike.

I was walking on the street trying to piece the place together in my memory when someone stopped and asked me in Lao if I was indeed the falang who had that accident two months back. He then took me to where I had fallen and to the family who had taken care of, and mended, the motorbike with extensive applications of Scotch tape.

It started at first kick! The people were happy to see me, even though it clearly meant the loss of the use of the motorbike.

They immediately set to cooking and slaughtered a chicken in my honour to prepare lunch. They invited all the neighbours who had been involved in my rescue, including side-car man and Tiger Balm guy!

People often ask me, ‘why Laos?’

Well, this is why Laos. Because in this beautiful land live the kindest, warmest, most gentle and generous people you would ever want to meet.





They prepared a wonderful lunch for me and invited all the neighbours who had helped me after the crash.

Sometimes people ask me, why Laos?

Well, this is why Laos. The sweetest, warmest and must generous people you'd ever wish to find anywhere.



They prepared a wonderful lunch for me and invited all the neighbours who had helped me after the crash.


Sometimes people ask me, why Laos?


Well, this is why Laos. The sweetest, warmest and must generous people you'd ever wish to find anywhere.


 




They prepared a wonderful lunch for me and invited all the neighbours who had helped me after the crash.

Sometimes people ask me, why Laos?

Well, this is why Laos. The sweetest, warmest and must generous people you'd ever wish to find anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment